Wednesday, December 18, 2013

To the Single Mamas at Christmastime

I'd be lying if I said I don't mind being single during the holidays. The truth is, I hate it. It feels like all the holiday cheer exacerbates my aloneness.

I thought this year would be different. In October, I started dating a guy in Virginia whom I've known for a long time and we made plans to spend Thanksgiving with him and his family and talked about meeting up in Nashville for Christmas. I was really excited to do the whole holiday thing with him and his kids and create some special memories. For this single mama, it seemed safe to hope.

But.

For various reasons, some I understand and some I don't, we broke up before Thanksgiving. It was painful canceling trips and plans and especially painful having to tell Jackson. And now my single-again-status seems like a cruel joke. Part of me wants to rush through this season and just get it over with. I'm ready for a new start, a new year.

But this is a time to slow down, reflect, and prepare. Prepare for the coming of Christ. Remembering His first entrance on earth and Hoping for His return. I want my heart to be tender toward my King. The King who meets the needs of the poor and the oppressed. Who fights for justice on behalf of the needy. That's me. I'm poor, oppressed, and needy. I need this King.

When Jesus came to earth as a baby, the nation of Israel was in disarray. God's promises were no longer fervently hoped for. His kingdom felt defeated. They were needy. And Jesus was welcomed and embraced by those who knew their need for a savior, a rescuer, a real king. He didn't arrive in a palace full of holiday cheer. He didn't enter into a room decorated perfectly with smiles and laughter all around.

He was born in a stinky stable. 

Maybe my life is like that stable right now. Maybe what feels like a cruel joke is actually a suitable setting for waiting for and hoping for the King.

I will never ask you to sugar-coat your circumstances. And I won't do that with mine. Yes, being single in a couple-centric culture is very, very hard. I struggle with feeling less-than just because I don't have a significant other. And I do hope for a best friend who will become my husband. But I encourage you to ask God to speak to your circumstances. Ask Him to whisper truth and encouragement to your aching heart. Believe that He sees you, knows you, and loves you faithfully. Allow Him to sit on the throne of your heart. When He's there and nothing else is idolized, there is Peace, Joy, and Love.

Let's strive for that. Together.

How are you feeling this holiday season?


1 comment:

HealthyChick said...

Love this Erin! Thank you for your honesty! Can so relate!